Rob’s Chocolate Treat
Rob's Chocolate Treat
Author: Rob Weaver Comox, BC
- cut salmon into 3inch wide steaks
- stand cut portions with backbone facing ceiling
- slice down bone, splitting in half
- do not debone fish
- mix 3 cups brown sugar with 1 cup pickling salt
- using a plastic, NOT metal container...
- layer fish, skin side down, covering generously with mixture
- next layer, cover with mixture...when finished, last cover
- should be thicker than other layers...
- place in fridge overnight....
- in morning, rinse off excess salt/sugar under cold water
- set on racks to airdry for 2-3 hrs....until glaze appears
- then lightly brush with maple syrup and place in smoker
- thicker pieces on lower racks....
- preheat smoker....load rack of salmon....make sure smoker is out of the wind....
- one pan of smoke every two hours makes a wonderful tasting
- smoked salmon...when finished, debone, deskin...best tasting fish
- is next to the bones....oh ya...
- to keep a long time....process in salmon canning jars 90 mins in boiling water....
- when opening jar of canned smoked salmon...mix with philadelphia
- cream cheese with jalapeno peppers and use as cracker spread