Doctor Dave’s Smoked Salmon
Doctor Dave's Smoked Salmon
Author: Dave Morrison, Kennewick, WA
- Combine the following to make the brine:
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of coca-cola
- 1 can of root beer
- 1 can of pineapple chunks w/ all the juice
- 4 TBLS molasses
- 2 big splashes of dark rum ( about 5 TBLS )
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBLS liquid smoke
- ½ cup non-iodized salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Mix well, it will remain gritty.
- Rinse whole fillets or cut peices with cold water and submerge, skin side down in brine.
- Cover and refrigerate 12 hours.
- Remove salmon pieces, rinse quickly under cold water and place on towel.
- Let stand at room temp for 1-2 hours prior to smoking.
- The salmon should have a visible sheen.
- Smoke with alder only.
- I like to smoke three panfuls in the electric smoker.
- After each panful burns out, continue to let stand for 4 hours.
- The smoking process takes a total of 12 hours if you burn a new pan each 4 hours.
- After the last four hour stand, you will taste delicious smoked salmon.
- Ziplock and refrigerate for consumption over the next two weeks.
- Vacuum seal and freeze for up to two years.
- Works well for Kings, Sock-eye and Steelhead.