Kelly’s Candied Salmon
Kelly's Candied Salmon
Author: Kelly Klassen Winnipeg, MB
Candied Salmon is unbelievable. The texture, the flavor, you can't have just one piece. I first had Candied Salmon on a trip through BC Canada. I bought 1 lb just to try it. Well 2 hours later, I had eaten the whole bag while driving through the mountains.
- 3 lbs Salmon fillets
- 1 lb Coarse salt
- 1 lb Brown sugar
- 1 cp Maple Syrup
- 3 tbl crushed chilies
- Mix the sugar, salt and chilies together in a mixing bowl.
- Put a thin layer of the mixture in the bottom of a large lidded container.
- Cut the Salmon into thick strips 1 in x 1 in x 4 in long.
- Place the Salmon strips on the layer of sugar, salt and chilies. Leave
- a little space between the strips of Salmon to allow the Salmon to loose it's moisture.
- Put a layer of the mixed ingredients on top of the Salmon strips, the a layer of Salmon.
- Repeat until all the Salmon is covered.
- Put the container in a cool place for 4 hours to allow time for the salt, sugar mixture time to pull the
- moisture out of the Salmon. Drain the liquid as it collects.You can leave the mixture for as long as you want.
- hours is about the minimum. After that drain the liquid and put in the fridge if you are going to soak it longer.
- I do mine overnight.
- When your ready to smoke the Salmon, quickly rinse off all the salt and sugar, and pat dry the Salmon before
- putting in the smoker.
- Paint a thin coating of the Maple syrup onto the Salmon and place in your smoker.
- Add your Alder chips to your smoking pan, and set the temperature at 150 degrees for 8 hours.
- Smoke the Salmon to taste. Apply the Maple Syrup 3 - 4 times during the smoking process.
- I usually smoke it twice for an hour each time.
- When the Salmon is done, allow it to cool before eating. ( If you can wait ).
- Keep refrigerated.
- This is my favorite recipe for Candied Salmon. Enjoy.